The most wonderful time of the year is here once again, and although we are a little late for Hanukkah this go-around, Christmas is a mere week away. Chances are, there are probably a couple people you are still looking to buy for before the 25th is upon us. Luckily for you, if your friends love beer as much as we do, there’s a long list of things to get them that malty, hoppy fix.
So deck the halls with boughs of barley and fa-la-la-la-la until you fall over this holiday season with these great gifts we’d hope to see under our Christmas trees.
- Tickets to a beer dinner – Kat and I had a killer dinner at Easy Tiger back in September when Brooklyn Brewing came to town and paired up with Chef Drew Curren. Even though that was 3 months ago, my mouth still waters at the memory. Search around for events happening in your area with breweries you know and love. Its not only a great Christmas gift, but a superb way to bring in the new year as well.
- Beer art – If you have an influx of beer-drinking by-product (i.e. cans, caps, and tabs a-plenty like you are Ariel in her hoarder’s cove) put those raw materials to good use! Check out our Pinterest board “Getting’ Crafty With It” where we’ve amassed a collection of our own full of creative ways to set you on the right path to a personal and brew-centric gift. If you aren’t particularly crafty, you could always find someone to do the dirty work for you. We love MAKEatx for this reason. They do personalized glass etching and have a line of mistaken lyric coasters that will sure to put some jingle in your Kringle.
- Beer books – All of these great books are sure to be great can’t-put-it-down tomes for the beer-drinkers nearest to your heart.
- Tasting Beer: An Insider’s Guide to the World’s Greatest Drink by Randy Mosher
- A History of the World in 6 Glasses by Tom Standage (Read our book review of this particular literary work.)
- The Definitive Guide to Buying Craft Beer: Discover Everything You Need to Know About Buying and Enjoying Craft Beer by Dan Koester – a new release this holiday season.
- Home-brew starter kit – This one is not for the faint of heart, and isn’t to be given lightly, but for the die-hard brew-lover looking to be a bit adventurous, a starter kit could be the big gift of the year. We found a lovely community at Austin Homebrew Supply that has helped some of the ladies brew some tasty batches like Smoking Hot Blonde and a roasted pumpkin ale during the fall.
- BEER! – The bitches actually celebrated this way with a bomber exchange done White Elephant style! With Narwahl Imperial Stout by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co., Maharaja Double IPA by Avery Brewing Company , Rince Cochon, a Belgian blonde from Brouwerij Roman N.V, and Cream Weaver cream ale from Wicked Beaver Brewing Company among the gifts up for grabs, everyone walked away with a little extra Christmas joy. The surprise Live Oak keg that made an appearance didn’t hurt the good cheer at all, either.
Whatever choices you make during your Christmas shopping this season, you can’t go wrong with a gift celebrating brewskis. And from all the bitches, we wish you a merry Christmas with a hoppy new beer!