The city of Austin is going to be a little crazy for the next week. Austin Film Festival is currently in session and will continue until Thursday, Oct. 25, and next weekend, Oct. 27-28, is the Texas Book Festival. However the most awesome, must see, you’ll-hate-yourself-if-you-don’t-go festival of the month is Austin Beer Week. But with more than 150 events around the city from Oct. 20-28, you may be asking, “What’s the best of the best this year?” Lucky for you, the girls over at Bitch Beer know what’s up and are sharing with you our top 5 picks for the week (that aren’t sold out yet).
1. (512) 4th Anniversary Party, October 28 at 1 p.m. – This is one of the most exciting events of the week, if you ask me. (512) rarely has brewery tours (although rumor has it that’s about to change), so to get the chance to go to the brewery, hang out with the awesome guys who work there and try some of their delicious brews is going to be an awesome experience. And it’s their 4th birthday, so you know it’s going to be a party. The brewery is going all out with their beer selection for the party and will have their Four, Wit, IPA, Pecan Porter, Tripel and Double IPA on tap all day long. Then once an hour, they’ll be tapping special kegs including their ONE, TWO, THREE and Whiskey Barrel-Aged Double Pecan Porter. Additionally every hour between one and four, they’ll be pulling out the big guns: firkins of Cafe au Lait, Double IPA w/special hops, Wild Bear and FOUR. See what I mean? It’s going to be good.
2. Rogtoberween Fest,October 27 at 11 a.m. – If you haven’t been to Rogness Brewing yet, this is the perfect time to go. One of Austin’s newest breweries, Rogness has an amazing selection of beers including my favorites the Ost (a deep porter with hints of chocolate, caramel and coffee), Yogi (a chai-spiced amber) and the Rogtoberfest (a perfect fall beer). For this party, Rogness is combining Oktoberfest with Halloween for a costume party unlike any other. Tickets include beer tastings, brewery tour and free bratwurst. The party will also feature a bangin’ Oktoberfest playlist and costume contest with the winner walking away with a surprise Rogness merch package. Tickets can be bought here. Get them before they’re gone!
3. Bats and Beers Dinner, Oktoberfest Edition, October 28 at 6 p.m. – Not only does this event have awesome beer and delicious food, but it’s on a boat! Awesome, right? Slowly drift down Lady Bird Lake, enjoying the beautiful Austin skyline as you sip on two previously unreleased beers from Guadalupe Brewing of New Braunfels. Bangers Sausage House & Beer Garden will also be climbing aboard, bringing along some of their savory sausages. The party, sponsored by You Stay Hoppy, Capital Cruises and Whip In. Tickets are $35 a piece and going quickly, so don’t miss out!
4. Alamo Drafthouse’s Strange Brew with Strange Brews, October 24 at 7 p.m. – Strange Brew is the classic story of two dudes who just wanna drink beer and eat jelly donuts, so of course the best way to enjoy this epic tale is by joining Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas and drink up. The Alamo Drafthouse is hooking you up with some of the “strangest” beer concoctions from local breweries including a firkin of Circle Brewing‘s dry-hopped Envy Amber, Hops and Grain‘s Bourbon Barrel aged ALTeration, Twisted X‘s Siesta Prickly Pear Lager, Real Ale Brewers’ Cut Black Quadrupel and Jester King‘s Gotlandsdricka. These beers will also be paired with the best of Canadian cuisine: poutine, Canadian BLT and ployes. Sounds good, eh?
5. Beer College – Lagers with Bitch Beer, October 23 at 7 p.m. – WARNING: heavy self-promotion ahead. If you haven’t heard yet, the Bitch Beer girls are teaching our own class at Bangers Sausage House & Beer Garden as part of their Beer College series. We’ll be tackling lagers and proving that this style of beer shouldn’t be written off just because beers like Bud Light have dominated the market. Our students will get the chance to sample a flight of craft lagers featuring Live Oak Pilz, Austin Beerworks’ Pearl Snap German-Style Pils and Black Thunder Schwarz and Spaten Optimator Doppelbock. Bangers chefs will also be pairing these flights with some of their fantastic sausages. Now, I may be just a little bit bias, but I’d go so far to say this will be the coolest event of the week. Just sayin.